Friday, March 5, 2010
Voluntary vs. Involuntary
This week I had a meeting with my manager and my preceptor and they all agree I am nearly ready to be on my own. I am excited but simultaneously terrified. I know I will still be able to ask for help, but there won't anyone over my shoulder looking out for me and keeping me from making critical errors. I will have to make my own judgment calls and rely on what I know I know. Confidence is the name of the game now. Part of what makes this difficult is the variety of patients we have as well as their high acuity levels. For example: Pt #1 is a 70 year old with AIDS, AIDS related dementia, pneumonia and wasting syndrome. She has a feeding tube in place and is confused, grumpy, and often refuses care and hits nurses. Pt #2 is a morbidly obese woman who just had a total hysterectomy, two large benign tumors removed from her uterus, and now has a small bowel obstruction and a nasogastric tube in place. Pt #3 is a 50 year old who has inoperable kidney cancer that has spread to his hip and spine. He just had spinal surgery and when the incision heals he will begin radiation and chemotherapy. Pt. #4 has chronic cardiac dysrhythmias, and ejection fraction of 25%, Congestive heart failure, chronic renal insufficiency, diabetes,claustrophobia, and anxiety. He also has some sort of skin infection going on and is in isolation pending a MRSA test. Pt. #5 is a 21 year old who just found out he has hodgkins lymphoma. He is scared and has a million questions.*sigh* I did choose this vocation voluntarily right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment