10 Things I Have Learned in the First 10 Weeks of Being a Nurse
1. Butterscotch pudding is not included in a liquid diet.
2. Hospital coffee may be bitter and stale, but at 3 a.m. it is still coffee.
3. Every nurse does her job and follows protocals. Every nurse also does it differently.
4. Some patients want to know everything about their care and others simply want to hear, "I have a pill for you to take."
5. Sometimes a gentle hand can be too gentle for the task, other times that same gentility can be most welcomed.
6. Sometimes 2 days off just doesn't seem like enough.
7. I need to be refreshed in my off time. I can see that without that the road from here to burnout would be a short one.
8. Being done with school in no way means I can stop studying.
9. The lines between nurse and doctor are getting blurrier all the time.
10. Despite the emotional highs and lows, the pressure and responsibility that come with being a new nurse. I am doing what I am meant to do and I love my job.

No comments:
Post a Comment