Friday, March 12, 2010

The Learning Never Ends

I am not sure who's idea it was to hold an 8 hour class with a night shift RN instructor and the night shift RN's in the daytime....but that is just what we bleary eyed folks did today. It was a class on pain management in the oncology patient. 4 hours were on pharmacology alone. I brought home a 2 inch binder full of information. (of course now that it has been "presented" to me I am responsible for knowing it all) The class was really interesting and so very applicable to my patients I enjoyed it a lot. I have to admit it was a little overwhelming the volume of technical information, from neurotransmitters and neuropathways to titration guidelines for opioid drips to morphine conversion rates to epidural protocals to adjunct meds that are used for pain control despite being meant for other purposes. I am actually very interested in the topic.

Right now my goals are to get chemotherapy certified this year, then give myself 6 months to a year to work on the floor, then study to become an oncology certified nurse. Perhaps I will eventually add pain management certification to the list. This is one of my favorite things about nursing, it is so flexible. There are so many possibilities and I know that I can go as far down whatever road interests me as I choose.  

No comments:

Post a Comment